Skip to main content

Plums and Fleas


Clothes on the line, my backywardThe plum tree

Plums!

In my earlier post, I was lamenting the fact that I was in Oakland instead of out on a wilderness trail. Now, a few weeks later, I am still sitting here in Oakland, this time listening to the various firecrackers and other incendiary devices the neighbors are igniting in preparation for July 4th. I am getting ready to leave on a camping trip tomorrow morning. I am excited to get out of town, but overall, have been very content to be in the Bay Area during what amounts to a five week pseudo-vacation from the elementary children.

In the past few weeks, I've been working at the Park Elementary garden in Hayward two to three times a week, usually for four to six hours. I've also helped out with the high school program as well at Tennyson in Hayward. On my sometimes lengthy lunch breaks, I've been savoring the tastes of Hayward: Mexican hoagies, and burritos and aguas frescas from Chavez Market.

On my other days, I go into San Francisco for a Geography class I am taking at San Francisco State. The class as well as being in the city has given me the chance to get together with old friends and meet some new folks new as well.

An important part of my life recently has revolved around sprawling, long-unpruned plum tree growing in the backyard of my house in Fruitvale. It's called Fruitvale for a reason, one of my neighbors pointed out to me after we met while picking plums (a few branches reach across into the neighbor's yard). Until a few days ago, I had been waiting for the plums to get ripe. It seems that the hot weather we had here in the Bay Area a few weeks ago did the trick, and they have come on strong. The plums are what plums should be: plentiful, purple, juicy, and sweet with tartness in the skin and the part of the flesh next to the pit. Picking the plums and distributing them to various friends and co-workers has become a real pastime recently. The plum tree, especially during the heat wave, has provided a great shelter from the summer sun. I can sit in its' shade and read or talk on the phone, and maybe even catch a breeze. It's a nice nice place to be, enough greenery and peace to provide an oasis amidst this urban life I've come to appreciate much more these past few weeks.

Last Sunday I made a semi-annual trip to the Nor-Cal swap meet, a flea market that sprawls across the Laney College Parking lot and under the 880 Freeway here in Oakland once a week. It's always a bustling place, mostly a Latino crowd with a few Asians, Blacks, Middle Easterners, hipsters and any other folks that reside here in the 'Town and elsewhere in the Bay Area. One can find anything from a used drill to a spider-man backpack for your kindergardener, or a CD case full of Dave Matthews and Jon Mayer (neither artist is well-played in the East Bay, fortunately), most likely lifted from some college student's dorm room. I seek out the Mach 3 Gillette Razors, which are a rip off at a drug store but always come half-price at the pulga. The flea market is Oakland at its best, a convergence of all kinds of people, a chance for ordinary working folks to earn a little extra money selling anything and everything under the sun (never mind the legality of some of it). Like most of Oakland, the flea market is not a tourist destination, the prices are low and there are no arty or crafty items, save an old Al Green record or a towel painting or two. One can make an excursion out of it, as there are numerous stands selling hot dogs, tamales and pupusas.

When I step out and away from my work and routine, I discover all kinds of overlooked and under appreciated elements of life and find I don't really need to go too far to have a very satisfying vacation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Return from a Rugged Land

Ok so it's been a while since I've done any blogging. But I am on the move and have much to write about, so here I go again. About a month ago, back in February, I left my job teaching Nutrition and Garden at Park Elementary in Hayward, CA. It was a sad farewell, and I will miss many students, parents and staff there, but I was ready to move on and experience new challenges, adventures and opportunities to grow, learn and have fun. I packed up my stuff in boxes, loaded my car with supplies and headed east for the high deserts of the Navajo Nation, specifically the contested partition lands of Black Mesa. The history of the Hopi-Navajo land dispute and it's relationship to the coal interests is a complicated one. At the center of it lies Black Mesa, a rolling plateau of sagebrush and pinon and juniper forests, the traditional home of many Dine (Navajo) sheepherding families. Under their lands lie some of the largest coal deposits in the U.S. For decades, the coal in

Oakland Stroll

February 4, 2008: Nervous about Super Tuesday, but hopeful that Obama can pull it off and eventually get the nomination. Slightly pleased that the somewhat more respectable McCain is leading over the deplorable Romney (even though I don't have much love for Republicans). Current Book: "China Road", Rob Gifford Current Song: "SF Anthem" Traxamillion and San Quinn First in an installment. I hope to explore East Bay neighborhoods and take pictures. I'm not attempting to interview people to get the pulse of an area, but rather capture the images that strike me and hopefully create a visual sense of the community. I plan to do this a couple times of month. Let me know what you think. This being one of the few sunny, rainless days we've had of late, I decided to spend part of my day off walking through some Oakland neighborhoods instead of doing housework or studying. I live near High Street and 580, in Maxwell Park. I headed west, along Brookdal