Skip to main content

The Leaves on a Tree

It's a windy, cold afternoon here in Oakland, and I am looking out my not-so-clean window at the vacant yard that once belonged to my neighbors. Yet another victim of foreclosure, they moved out a few weeks ago, taking with them their assorted vehicles, weight set and junk that once crowded the small, concrete back patio. Sometimes loud and raucous, always lively, I will miss them and the little piece of Central America they brought to the neighborhood. I recall one summer afternoon when I dozed off in my backyard to the soothing sounds of their Guatemalan marimba music. Now, it's just an empty space, one of many in this city.

Bad news is not hard to find these days. Sixteen teachers at the elementary school where I work got pink slips yesterday. Families and staff are concerned what will happen to the school. Many of the dedicated educators who have served there now find their future uncertain. I am lucky that the grant money that supports my position as a school garden teacher remains intact, at least for now, and I have a job for the time being. It is sometimes a stressful one, given the current atmosphere in our district.

What keeps me going is working with some amazing students, families and fellow staff, as well as being able to grow plants. When I am rushing around trying to set up lessons for the day, or understand yet another change in our paperwork protocol, I can stop for a moment and contemplate the new growth on the little avocado tree. The tree survived a defoliating vandalism a year ago, and I had given it up for dead, when a few months later, some small branches and leaves burst forth. It has grown slowly but surely since then and I keep a special eye on it. Many years off from producing avocados, it one of my connections with the cycle of agriculture.

I haven't been so great about updating this blog since I've come back from Nicaragua, mostly because I wasn't sure what I had to say was very interesting (I'll let you, my readers, be the judge of that) compared with when I was traveling. To my pleasant surprise, a couple people have found the blog and it has been a source of information for them while planning a visit to Lagartillo. I am glad to be able to share my experiences and promote the language school, Hijos del Maiz. It's been more than two months since I got back and I am most certainly back into the routine of my life here. My work with the garden project as well as conversations with people planning a trip to Lagartillo keeps me connected with that little community tucked deep in the folded northern mountains of Nicaragua.

After a long week at work and a tiring workout at King Boxing Gym, I came home to a pleasant surprise. The box of donated seeds from Seed Savers Exchange had arrived and I excitedly explored the contents: many wondrous varieties of peppers, melons, beans, lettuce, tomatoes and eggplants. Some of the seeds will stay here in the Bay Area at my school in Hayward, others will make the trip to Nicaragua where hopefully they will flourish in the tropical climate there. In difficult times, it gives me a sense of profound pleasure to think of the possibility of cultivating these amazing and nourishing varieties of fruits and vegetables.

I will post pictures from my school and home gardens soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Return from a Rugged Land

Ok so it's been a while since I've done any blogging. But I am on the move and have much to write about, so here I go again. About a month ago, back in February, I left my job teaching Nutrition and Garden at Park Elementary in Hayward, CA. It was a sad farewell, and I will miss many students, parents and staff there, but I was ready to move on and experience new challenges, adventures and opportunities to grow, learn and have fun. I packed up my stuff in boxes, loaded my car with supplies and headed east for the high deserts of the Navajo Nation, specifically the contested partition lands of Black Mesa. The history of the Hopi-Navajo land dispute and it's relationship to the coal interests is a complicated one. At the center of it lies Black Mesa, a rolling plateau of sagebrush and pinon and juniper forests, the traditional home of many Dine (Navajo) sheepherding families. Under their lands lie some of the largest coal deposits in the U.S. For decades, the coal in

Oakland Stroll

February 4, 2008: Nervous about Super Tuesday, but hopeful that Obama can pull it off and eventually get the nomination. Slightly pleased that the somewhat more respectable McCain is leading over the deplorable Romney (even though I don't have much love for Republicans). Current Book: "China Road", Rob Gifford Current Song: "SF Anthem" Traxamillion and San Quinn First in an installment. I hope to explore East Bay neighborhoods and take pictures. I'm not attempting to interview people to get the pulse of an area, but rather capture the images that strike me and hopefully create a visual sense of the community. I plan to do this a couple times of month. Let me know what you think. This being one of the few sunny, rainless days we've had of late, I decided to spend part of my day off walking through some Oakland neighborhoods instead of doing housework or studying. I live near High Street and 580, in Maxwell Park. I headed west, along Brookdal