Skip to main content

The Edge of Heaven

The other night, I had the pleasure to watch an excellent movie called 'The Edge of Heaven'. The film that takes place in Germany and Turkey; I bring it up not because I want to write a review, but because the movie got me thinking about a past life I once had. From September 2002 until August 2003, I lived, studied and traveled in Turkey. I spent most of my time in Istanbul, a beautiful, ancient, crowded, intense, and overwhelming city. In my daily life here in U.S., I don't often think of my year in Turkey, and my time there holds this strange place in the chronology of my life. That time is strangely disconnected with the rest of my life: I never speak Turkish (I've forgotten most of what I learned there) and rarely meet Turks and there is no one from that experience that I encounter in my daily life.

Since watching the film, memories from my life in Turkey have flooded back into my mind. I think about catching a bus on a cold fall night on my way back home from Sariyer, or walking through decaying neighborhoods near the city wall, or drinking a cay with friends on the bench at Bogazici. When I first returned to the states, my time in Turkey cast a big shadow over my life, because my time in Istanbul was so different, so intense and most importantly, so full of wonderful people. Not that my life in the states isn't, but in Turkey I spent so many hours socializing, more than I ever have here in the states. Hours passed by in tea shops and benches, where I would sit with a friend or two, watching people go by, talking about the troubles of the world or just joking around. I will always miss this aspect of Turkish culture that provided the venue to become friends with so many fantastic people.

I feel a bit sad both because I haven't seen all those friends in years and also because I've tried not to think about my life in Turkey much since then. Not that it didn't matter to me, but rather the opposite, it mattered too much. When I returned, I struggled so deeply with the challenge of re-acquainting myself with life in the U.S. and also facing the stress of graduating from college and figuring out what to do next. I tried to live my life in the here and now instead of being caught up in an endless rerun of memories from my life abroad. When I moved to the East Bay, I threw myself into life in Oakland, trying to establish for myself a real home to make up for the rootlessness I felt upon my return to the United States.

Five years later I am still caught up in the ups and downs of everyday life, perhaps it would be wise of me to look back a little more, not just at Turkey but at the other years that have passed in my adult life. I am still here in Oakland, feeling at home but still a bit rootless--at this point, I've come to terms with it and realize that it's not always a bad thing to not be so tied down with everything. Despite the passing of many years since I was in Istanbul, those memories still carry with them strong emotions, ones that have not faded with time. I know if I return, I will find a city that is changed and will be looking upon it with different eyes. I don't plan to live there again. I am torn, since part of me wishes to find a place to settle and never travel again (see previous post about climate change) while another acknowledges that I am a product of many people and places and I shouldn't be in such denial of this. When it comes down to it, I must decide whether the long flight and all the carbon emissions is worth it.

This is kind of a ramble, and I hope any friends of mine from my life in Turkey that read it will know that I miss all of you, I hold you near to my heart and I hope to see you again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Return from a Rugged Land

Ok so it's been a while since I've done any blogging. But I am on the move and have much to write about, so here I go again. About a month ago, back in February, I left my job teaching Nutrition and Garden at Park Elementary in Hayward, CA. It was a sad farewell, and I will miss many students, parents and staff there, but I was ready to move on and experience new challenges, adventures and opportunities to grow, learn and have fun. I packed up my stuff in boxes, loaded my car with supplies and headed east for the high deserts of the Navajo Nation, specifically the contested partition lands of Black Mesa. The history of the Hopi-Navajo land dispute and it's relationship to the coal interests is a complicated one. At the center of it lies Black Mesa, a rolling plateau of sagebrush and pinon and juniper forests, the traditional home of many Dine (Navajo) sheepherding families. Under their lands lie some of the largest coal deposits in the U.S. For decades, the coal in

Oakland Stroll

February 4, 2008: Nervous about Super Tuesday, but hopeful that Obama can pull it off and eventually get the nomination. Slightly pleased that the somewhat more respectable McCain is leading over the deplorable Romney (even though I don't have much love for Republicans). Current Book: "China Road", Rob Gifford Current Song: "SF Anthem" Traxamillion and San Quinn First in an installment. I hope to explore East Bay neighborhoods and take pictures. I'm not attempting to interview people to get the pulse of an area, but rather capture the images that strike me and hopefully create a visual sense of the community. I plan to do this a couple times of month. Let me know what you think. This being one of the few sunny, rainless days we've had of late, I decided to spend part of my day off walking through some Oakland neighborhoods instead of doing housework or studying. I live near High Street and 580, in Maxwell Park. I headed west, along Brookdal