Skip to main content

From the Top to the Bottom

The noises of cars and pedestrians on the street here in Rivas are a strange shock after having spent nearly all of my time so far in Nicaragua in the campo. On Monday, Rawley and I left Lagartillo on the 6:30 bus (the times I´ve been waking up at will make going back to work seem like sleeping in) for Esteli, leaving behind friends and a great community. We arrived in Esteli, did some errands then left for Miraflor that afternoon. The bus gradually climbed through cattle pastures and forests to the highlands of Miraflor located north of the city. As we gained elevation, moss cloaked trees, small fincas and fields of corn, potatoes and cabbage appeared out of the drizzle. We passed small communities, eventually arriving at Puertas Azules. From there we hiked along a gravel road a few kilometers to Posada La Perla, located at the highest point of Miraflor. We had reservations to stay two nights there at the small farm of Maribel Gonzales and her family. The finca is a rustic spot, surrounded by pasture, corn fields, shade-grown coffee and a wonderful garden with vegetables like broccoli that one usually doesn´t associate with the tropics. We enjoyed a late lunch then checked out the surroundings.

On Wednesday, Maribel`s 16 year old daughter Eyda and her nephew took us on a long walk through Miraflor. We hiked across pastures, through corn fields, past small farmsteads with dogs, chickens, pigs and cows and under bromeliad and moss covered trees. Miraflor is a different world from Lagartillo, much damper with taller trees and suprisingly less rugged terrain. The area is a little more developed--people grow more crops for sale such as cabbage, potatoes and coffee and some even grow tomatoes in greenhouses. The finca where we stayed had solar power and a TV, which seemed to be the gathering point in the evening for the local chavalos (or maybe it was the young lady Eyda). The tourism is managed by a cooperative of local producers and there see to be a lot of other community oriented projects and organizations in Miraflor. Our long walk through Miraflor eventually led us to a beautiful waterfall, from there we checked out some orchids, few of which were blooming. Rawley scaled the inside of a large tree called a Matapalo. The matapalo is a parasitic tree which over a long time spread its` vines over another tree, eventually strangling and killing the other tree, creating hollow spot in the middle. I couldn´t climb because I was wearing rubber boots.

Miraflor is a place where I could have stayed for a while. The mists, cool air, lush vegetation, friendly people and rural lifestyle make it a magical place. But after two nights in the wonderful Posada la Perla, Rawley and I caught an early bus, thus beginning a long southward descent, first to Esteli, then to Managua and finally to Rivas, a small city in southern Nicaragua. Rivas is not far from the Costa Rican border, the gringo surf town of San Juan del Sur and the waters of Lake Nicaragua. It´s a world away from the highlands of the north and is much less harsh than Managua, which as usual was full of chaos, poverty and hustle. Rivas seems more bucolic than Leon, less poor than the north but still full of that vital street life that makes Nicaraguan small towns and cities so charming. In the evening, chavalos bike the streets, families take strolls and the smell of grilling meat from fritangas drifts through the air. I am sure that I won`t be woken up tomorrow by the cries of a calf hungry for milk. Our stay in Rivas will be short, but enough to enjoy atmosphere in this small, un touristy Nicaraguan city. Tomorrow we catch the ferry to Ometepe, a volcanic island located an hour away in Nicaragua´s large lake, known to folks here at the colcibola.

Well, I tried to upload some pictures, but I guess that will have to wait for another time. Now it´s time to check out the night life here in Rivas, maybe sip a Toña or two and enjoy the evening breeze off the lake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Return from a Rugged Land

Ok so it's been a while since I've done any blogging. But I am on the move and have much to write about, so here I go again. About a month ago, back in February, I left my job teaching Nutrition and Garden at Park Elementary in Hayward, CA. It was a sad farewell, and I will miss many students, parents and staff there, but I was ready to move on and experience new challenges, adventures and opportunities to grow, learn and have fun. I packed up my stuff in boxes, loaded my car with supplies and headed east for the high deserts of the Navajo Nation, specifically the contested partition lands of Black Mesa. The history of the Hopi-Navajo land dispute and it's relationship to the coal interests is a complicated one. At the center of it lies Black Mesa, a rolling plateau of sagebrush and pinon and juniper forests, the traditional home of many Dine (Navajo) sheepherding families. Under their lands lie some of the largest coal deposits in the U.S. For decades, the coal in

Oakland Stroll

February 4, 2008: Nervous about Super Tuesday, but hopeful that Obama can pull it off and eventually get the nomination. Slightly pleased that the somewhat more respectable McCain is leading over the deplorable Romney (even though I don't have much love for Republicans). Current Book: "China Road", Rob Gifford Current Song: "SF Anthem" Traxamillion and San Quinn First in an installment. I hope to explore East Bay neighborhoods and take pictures. I'm not attempting to interview people to get the pulse of an area, but rather capture the images that strike me and hopefully create a visual sense of the community. I plan to do this a couple times of month. Let me know what you think. This being one of the few sunny, rainless days we've had of late, I decided to spend part of my day off walking through some Oakland neighborhoods instead of doing housework or studying. I live near High Street and 580, in Maxwell Park. I headed west, along Brookdal