Skip to main content

Farm-cation

For the past week I've been on vacation, since the farm is closed for two weeks over the holidays.  I've spent most of my break so far up in Seattle, with family and old friends.  Amidst the busy holiday schedule I snuck away to my favorite Seattle food spot, Aladdin Falafel Corner, located on the 'Ave', the street I spent many hours wandering as a high school student.  Aladdin is one of the few businesses left from those days in the late 90's, and anyone who has tried their falafel knows why.  For those of you unfamiliar with falafel, it is a food of Middle Eastern origin made of ground chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and various spices that are formed into a ball and deep fried until the outside becomes deliciously crispy.  The falafel then gets wrapped in a pita along with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, tahini sauce, red onion and at Aladdin, a dusting of red sumac powder.  One can find Aladdin falafel at two outlets, the Aladdin Gyro-cery and the Aladdin Falafel Corner, both located on the 'the ave'.  I am more partial to the Falafel Corner, though admittedly the Gyro-cery provides more ambiance for a falafel eating experience

Aladdin Falafel Corner, University Way, Seattle WA
Being on vacation has been a good opportunity to sleep in and slow down.  The fall was a busy time for me.  Adjusting to a new job takes a lot of energy, and in addition to the hours I spent at Pleasant Grove Farms, I was also participating in the local offshoot of the Occupy Wall Street Movement in Sacramento.  The #OWS movement struck a chord with me because I've seen wealth inequality and the influence of money in politics as major issues in our society for a long time.  The Occupy movement first appeared as something different from the usual way of left-wing politics, and initially attracted friends of mine who were not full-time activists.  For me it felt really good to spend a sunny October afternoon at the occupation, holding a sign on the corner or commiserating with other working people about the problems in our country.  As time went on my commitment to the Occupy Movement began to wane and I began to question the tactics.  I am not interested in writing political analysis here so instead I am including the link to this article by Marc Cooper: http://marccooper.com/occupy-what/, which articulates many of my own views.  I really support what the Occupy movement is trying to do, but the reality is that I find it very difficult to participate while I work in agriculture, attempt to have some semblance of a social life and pursue educational goals not related to occupy or work.  The reality is that in 2012 occupy will not be at the top of my priorities list. 

Before I left for Seattle, I received an assurance for continued employment at Pleasant Grove Farms in the new year. Despite the ups and downs of my first four months there, I realize that I have a very unique thing and a very good thing going for me there.  It is rare to find a farm that grows staple crops like rice, beans, corn and wheat that is so close to a city, and I really appreciate being a part of both rural and urban life.  For someone with a back injury, it is great to be able to farm without having to shovel, harvest or weed all day.  As someone who always had an aversion to an office job, I don't really mind spending the off season inside, because I know that during the growing season I will be outside most of the time.  Farming is more of a commitment than a regular 9-5 job, especially during rice irrigation season, but it is one I am willing to make at least for the coming year.  In am also continuing my study of accounting, because if I decide that after a year or two working on 3,000 acres in South Sutter County is not the thing for me, I want something to fall back on besides working in retail or education.

In these times of economic stagnation, unpredictable weather and social upheaval, I am thankful to begin the new year with a comfortable place to call home and steady employment that pays the bills and is meaningful.  Farming is challenging work, and is not well compensated, but it is something I am interested in doing for the long term, and so there is much learning to be done.  I wish all of you readers a Happy New Year and may 2012 bring you good health and fulfillment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Return from a Rugged Land

Ok so it's been a while since I've done any blogging. But I am on the move and have much to write about, so here I go again. About a month ago, back in February, I left my job teaching Nutrition and Garden at Park Elementary in Hayward, CA. It was a sad farewell, and I will miss many students, parents and staff there, but I was ready to move on and experience new challenges, adventures and opportunities to grow, learn and have fun. I packed up my stuff in boxes, loaded my car with supplies and headed east for the high deserts of the Navajo Nation, specifically the contested partition lands of Black Mesa. The history of the Hopi-Navajo land dispute and it's relationship to the coal interests is a complicated one. At the center of it lies Black Mesa, a rolling plateau of sagebrush and pinon and juniper forests, the traditional home of many Dine (Navajo) sheepherding families. Under their lands lie some of the largest coal deposits in the U.S. For decades, the coal in

Oakland Stroll

February 4, 2008: Nervous about Super Tuesday, but hopeful that Obama can pull it off and eventually get the nomination. Slightly pleased that the somewhat more respectable McCain is leading over the deplorable Romney (even though I don't have much love for Republicans). Current Book: "China Road", Rob Gifford Current Song: "SF Anthem" Traxamillion and San Quinn First in an installment. I hope to explore East Bay neighborhoods and take pictures. I'm not attempting to interview people to get the pulse of an area, but rather capture the images that strike me and hopefully create a visual sense of the community. I plan to do this a couple times of month. Let me know what you think. This being one of the few sunny, rainless days we've had of late, I decided to spend part of my day off walking through some Oakland neighborhoods instead of doing housework or studying. I live near High Street and 580, in Maxwell Park. I headed west, along Brookdal