Skip to main content

Morelia International Film Festival

Around this time last year I got sick. Ok, I admit, I wasn't really that sick. It was more that I hadn't taken enough time off from work during the past few months, my body was tired, and I was completely lost at my job.

Zocalo, Cuidad de Mexico, January 2016

The timing for those days at home couldn't have been better. Not long after I became "ill", I saw a post from Remezcla on Facebook about streaming movies from the Morelia International Film festival for free.  I followed the link and as soon as I began watching the first film, I knew I had found something really good. In the company of a distinguished film critic (Mr. Roco), I consumed many bowls of Chicken soup and cups of tea, and I watched nearly all of the 2016 offerings.

Caldo de Pollo, Estilo Peru

Last year's films remain vivid in my memory. There was El Charro del Toluquilla, which was about a Mariachi singer in Jalisco living with AIDS; another film was set in a village in Chiapas whose residents must cope with the annual flooding of their community. One movie's main character was a night watchman, who worked in a dimly lit, half-built apartment tower in the exurbs of Mexico City, a setting made even creepier by the constant dripping of water from rainy season downpours. And finally, I watched a really intense movie called Tempestad, which depicts the journeys of two women along Mexico's Gulf Coast. One woman is returning home after having been locked up unjustly in a cartel-run prison and another is searching for her disappeared daughter. 

Given the impression that last year's films had on me, I was really looking forward to this year's Morelia International Film Festival. I wish I'd been able to travel to Mexico for the event, but I am slowly working my way through this year's offerings in my cozy home in Olympia, with Roco of course. Here are my impressions of some of the films I've watched so far. I've never written movie reviews so here goes.

I started with Siempre Andamos Caminando, a documentary about the journey of a group of women from an indigenous community in the mountains of Oaxaca to the coastal town of Santa Rosa Lima. Each of the women narrate their experience while the camera shows clips from their daily routines: working in a lime orchard, tending a cooking fire, preparing food, and walking of course. This film succeeds by doing something simple yet profound: showing us the lives and allowing us to hear the voices of people who we might otherwise overlook because they are female, migrant, indigenous, Oaxacan, Mexican.

The second film I watched was Artemio. Like Siempre Andamos Caminando, this film proceeds at the pace of village life in Mexico, but the subject is much different. The main character, Artemio, is a child who grew up in the United States, but now lives in a village in Guerrero with his mother. This film captures Artemio's struggle trying to fit into a culture he is not entirely at home in. The movie  poignantly conveys the bond between mother and son, as well as the love that exists across borders as Artemio calls his older sister who lives in California.  Artemio and his family reminded me of some of the students I knew when I was teaching in Hayward, California, many of whom often spoke of loved ones living across the border.  This film covers an extremely important subject matter and tackles it well, with great humanity.

Set in a lush mountain forest, Regreso al Origen is about Lalo, a recluse who seeks to remain isolated from society. The film examines the life of this modern day Mexican Thoreau as he attempts to create his own Walden Pond in the age of subwoofers and disposable water bottles. As someone who values unspoiled nature and the peace of mind it's tranquility offers, I could relate to Lalo's frustrations with other people and his desire to find truth beyond the reaches of a corrupt society, 

If you'd like to watch, here's the link:

 https://www.festivalscope.com/all/festival/morelia-international-film-festival/2017

Come back and leave a comment about what you think of this year's films.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Monday was Hip Hop Night: My Dance Story

My long break from blogging began in March 2013. At the time, I thought I had figured it all out. Things were looking good in the world: Obama had just begun his second term, the U.S. was recovering from the Great Recession, and California had not yet entered the depths of multi-year drought. I was incredibly optimistic about my life. I was thriving in my Master of Accountancy program at UC Davis and had accepted my first real professional job at the California State Auditor. I began cultivating my community garden plot in Davis and was at the beginning stage of my dance addiction. What happened between now and March 2013? Among the usual things—work, life and failed romances—I danced, a lot. I’ve always liked to dance, but for most of my life I thought I was bad at it. Back in high school, I’d look forward to dances in the cafeteria, where I enthusiastically but awkwardly shuffled around to all that great 90s music. Many years later, after I’d finished college and was living in

El Lupo and other tales

In this post, I will review two Italian crime shows on Netflix, Suburra: Blood on Rome and Gomorrah . Then I tell the story of El Lupo . Crime Show Reviews I finished watched Suburra: Blood on Rome a few weeks ago. It’s a crime show about three young men in Rome who are trying to make their way in an organized crime world dominated by a cunning and cold blooded puppetmaster: the aging godfather Samurai. Suburra succeeds in developing characters that despite their shortcomings, I found myself sympathetic towards. The series aptly conveys how organized crime preys on people’s faults, their petty ambitions, greed and desire to be someone important, and draws them into its sinister web. I loved the setting: most of the scenes took place in the darkened streets of the Italian capital and in dingy cafes and gas stations in run down suburbs, but also included shots of the beach at Ostia as well as a gypsy crime family’s ostentatious palace. What I also liked about Suburra was that th