Skip to main content

Sweet Potatoes

Sacramento Valley Summer Garden

A major motivation behind my somewhat bizarre and masochistic decision to stick it out in the Central Valley is that I was really excited about the summertime abundance that flourishes in the intense heat. The previous summer I had spent at the UCSC Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Program in Santa Cruz, where an especially fog-cloaked, gloomy July stunted the warm weather crops, spread disease and kept us from harvesting much besides kale, carrots and lettuce. Those three vegetables are delicious in their own right, but in the summer, I want to eat summer stuff, like peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, watermelon and even some okra. Save the greens for the rest of the year, when I gladly will cook up kale, collards, broccoli raab or any other leafy vegetable and eat it with much gusto. In Santa Cruz, the problem we faced in enjoying the bounty of summer was a lack of heat and an overabundance of cool, damp weather. Out here in the Valley, what I lacked was land where I could tend the mouthwatering hot-weather crops. From an early point onward my need to find space to garden filled me with much anxiety, so I looked and asked around planted where I could.

Thanks to the generosity of friends, I found garden spaces: expert hair sheep ranchers and rare eggplant propagators Katy and Evan and I planted 200 tomatillo plants at their farm just outside Esparto (acclaimed seedsman and poison oak thrasher C. Bryan Stuart gave me over 1000 tomatillo plants). Closer to my residence-at-the-time in Woodland, my neighbor and renowned gordita de buche connoisseur Ethan Grundberg offered his backyard for gardening experiments. We dug beds and amended them with compost from the UC Davis Student Farm one Saturday afternoon in early May; in the following weeks we installed drip irrigation using second-hand tubing with more leaks than the waders I used for rice irrigation (see earlier post). Then we planted: a diversity of hot and mild peppers from Ethan's experiments and UC Davis, cantaloupe, Eel river, Casaba and water melons and sweet potatoes. I was especially excited about sweet potatoes because I had no experience growing them and because they are truly an amazing food: highly nutritious and versatile. Sweet potatoes grow from slips, which are cultured from the tissues of the tubers during the winter months. I searched the internet and eventually called a woman named Debbie who runs a business called Mericlone Labs in Merced County, the heart of California's sweet potato growing region. She was running out of her slips, so I got nervous and ordered way too many of them. They arrived, and I frantically tried to find homes for them. I ended up planting two 15 foot beds of them in Ethan's backyard and the experiment began.

Sweet potato planting happened on a warm evening in early May. The hot weather had just began, a prelude for what I expected to be a scorching summer and hoped would be a good growing conditions for the sweet potatoes. In the good company of a 16 oz can of Mickey's, some chips and salsa, Ethan's cat Sig and the sounds from kids playing the alleyway behind Ethan's house, I planted the sweet potato slips into the soft, recently worked soil and hoped for the best. I also daydreamed of all the ways I planned to prepare the harvest: pies, baked in the oven, boiled and mashed, or added to pancakes, biscuits and even curry.

With the sweet potatoes came a flyer with instructions on how to grow them, which I read many times but only partially absorbed. Since I like to worry about things I cannot control, I constantly checked the weather to see if the night time temperature was supposed to drop below 45, which according to the information from Mericlone Labs might damage their tender tissues. Sweet potatoes are originally from the Caribbean, and are not cold-hardy in the least. To set the record straight, they are different from yams. True yams hail from Africa and the island parts of Southeast Asia. The cannot be not grown in the US except possibly in a greenhouse and can only be found in specialty stores from those parts of the world. I have never seen or eaten a true yam. The 'candied yams' served at holiday dinners are made with sweet potatoes, not yams. There is a lot of confusion because of color, but sweet potatoes come in orange, white and purple and probably other colors as well.

Sweet potato vines in August, Woodland

The sweet potatoes had an inauspicious beginning. The weather that May was far from tropical: cool nights, more rain than average, and daytime temperatures not encouraging to the tomato, pepper and melon crops that local farmers had put in the ground.When Ethan announced that he was moving to Massachusetts in June I worried about what would happen to my nascent garden projects, whose fruits were still months away from enjoyment. I hoped that the new tenants would be amenable to continuing the garden and possibly allow me to harvest some of its' bounty. As is most often the case, it turned out that my worries were in vain: the new tenants were very excited about the garden and taking on its' care. When I returned to Woodland from a two week trip to visit my sister in Idaho (where there are no sweet potatoes growing) the garden had entered its bountiful stage, abundant with peppers and melons. But the sweet potato vines looked sad; I hadn't watered them nearly enough (partly due to leaks in the drip irrigation I didn't fix) and they succumbed to an aphid infestation because of their poor health. Luckily the garden's new stewards nursed them back to health.

Peppers of 4th St, and bermuda grass Aug 2011

Sweet potatoes have a long growing season, especially when the gardener (myself) neglects them at important early stages of their growth. By early November frosts have already arrived here in the Valley and most summer crops are dying out. At Pleasant Grove Farms where I work the rice harvest is nearly complete and out of the other crops, only one 100 acre field of white corn (for tortillas) remains to be cut. But the sweet potatoes are still there just across the river from where I now live in Sacramento, and it's time to head to Woodland and dig them out before the fall rains saturate the ground. Tomorrow at 1 PM myself, Maris and Sacha, the caretakers of the garden, along with a few friends will engage in a great unearthing of what I hope to be a hidden abundance. We've poked around in the soil a little bit but I must say that I have no idea how many tubers will be lurking in that good Yolo County earth. That's the excitement of growing a crop whose edible part hides underground.

The highly acclaimed Churros stand, Woodland Nov 2011

Comments

Larisa Jacobson said…
Nice blog, and hooray for peppers and sweet potatoes! Great to see so much bounty coming out of that backyard. Should Sig get an agent now that he's internet-famous?

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Return from a Rugged Land

Ok so it's been a while since I've done any blogging. But I am on the move and have much to write about, so here I go again. About a month ago, back in February, I left my job teaching Nutrition and Garden at Park Elementary in Hayward, CA. It was a sad farewell, and I will miss many students, parents and staff there, but I was ready to move on and experience new challenges, adventures and opportunities to grow, learn and have fun. I packed up my stuff in boxes, loaded my car with supplies and headed east for the high deserts of the Navajo Nation, specifically the contested partition lands of Black Mesa. The history of the Hopi-Navajo land dispute and it's relationship to the coal interests is a complicated one. At the center of it lies Black Mesa, a rolling plateau of sagebrush and pinon and juniper forests, the traditional home of many Dine (Navajo) sheepherding families. Under their lands lie some of the largest coal deposits in the U.S. For decades, the coal in

Oakland Stroll

February 4, 2008: Nervous about Super Tuesday, but hopeful that Obama can pull it off and eventually get the nomination. Slightly pleased that the somewhat more respectable McCain is leading over the deplorable Romney (even though I don't have much love for Republicans). Current Book: "China Road", Rob Gifford Current Song: "SF Anthem" Traxamillion and San Quinn First in an installment. I hope to explore East Bay neighborhoods and take pictures. I'm not attempting to interview people to get the pulse of an area, but rather capture the images that strike me and hopefully create a visual sense of the community. I plan to do this a couple times of month. Let me know what you think. This being one of the few sunny, rainless days we've had of late, I decided to spend part of my day off walking through some Oakland neighborhoods instead of doing housework or studying. I live near High Street and 580, in Maxwell Park. I headed west, along Brookdal