Skip to main content

Thanks-working






Even though it comes a day late, I write this blog post in keeping with the theme of Thanksgiving, so I'll mention a few of the things that I am grateful for.  I am thankful to Katy and Evan Vigil-McClanahan for hosting such a wonderful Thanksgiving gathering at their farm in Esparto.  This was only the second Thanksgiving in my life I've spent away from my family in Washington State, and so I really appreciated the company, conversation and the delicious food.  The oven-baked turkey rivaled the bird my dad usually BBQs, and the grits and gravy were a new addition to the Thanksgiving spread (I was excited about grits and gravy because a character from Dave Chapelle's 'World Series of Dice' sketch draws his name from that delicious dish).  This morning however I awoke feeling none too ready to slap some leftovers in a tupperware and hit the road at 6:30 AM for the trip up to the farm.  My overindulgence in the Thanksgiving feast led to my contraction of an obscure and somewhat serious ailment called Suttercountyitis, which though poorly researched is highly curable: the patient must not cross that county's boundary line until all the symptoms have passed.  I am giving myself until Monday to fully heal and recover from that illness.

Having a day (or in my case, due to the onset of Suttercountyitis, days off) off for a major holiday is not something I take for granted working in the field of agriculture, and I am thankful to have some time for myself.  It is safe to say that few of the conventions of what once were part of the typical American working life, such as 40 hour weeks, two day weekends, major holidays off and three weeks of vacation, actually exist for farmers or farmworkers.  One of the many tasks I do at Pleasant Grove farm is enter in time cards in a database, which contains information about how and where the employees spend their work days in order to account for labor costs of various crops and fields. This work, while not the most glamorous, opens a valuable window into agricultural labor.  During the harvest season, which began in October and ended on November 20th, the crew put in an astounding number of hours. Many worked seven days a week, for at least ten hours Monday through Saturday and eight on Sunday. Some even racked up close to 90 hours in one week.  That's a lot of time, but crops need to be harvested while the weather is good and the overtime pay really adds up for them.  For some, the idea is to earn as much money as possible during the growing season and then take three months off; others will spend the short winter working nine hour shifts five days a week in the farm's seed cleaning mill.  The farm closes for two weeks in December.

The approach of the two week farm closure, the end of harvest season, and Thanksgiving have brought up uncertainties I have about my own job at Pleasant Grove and have prompted some reflection on my own identity and the social context in which I work.  This began the previous Friday, when I spent the afternoon picking up pieces of roots in the old almond orchard with a few of farm's Mexican immigrant workers. My motivations for joining in this task were straightforward. I ate a really enormous chile colorado burrito at the Pleasant Grove Store for lunch and knew that if I returned to work in the office I would enter a deep food coma and become completely unproductive. I also figured after eating such a gargantuan mass of pork, cheese, rice, beans and flour getting some exercise couldn't hurt.  No one asked me to do this job, but I figured it would be fine since I have done other jobs that 'the guys' do, like driving a tractor and cutting up pieces of metal in the shop.  At other farms, like Full Belly in the Capay Valley where my friend Rawley works, I've weeded flower fields and washed carrots alongside the mostly Mexican crew.  I always appreciated the opportunity to converse in Spanish and learn about the lives of people who do the very important and very hard work of growing food. 

A major downside of my farm job is that I spend too much of my day alone. When I was doing rice irrigation, once Mike, my supervisor and the farm's rice expert, finished training me he stayed in the office and sent me out to check the irrigation pumps and the water depths in the field. Once irrigation season ended I worked in the office and sometimes went to the fields to cut samples of rice before harvest, two tasks I performed alone.  That's the nature of farming staple crops on a large scale: at Pleasant Grove farms there are less than 20 employees farming over 3,000 acres.  Compare this to Full Belly, whose crew of fifty farm 300 acres of higher value crops like tomatoes, melons and flowers.  I have always liked working outside and I often enjoy the solitude that farming offers.  The expansive fields and vistas of the mountains offer refreshing moments to contemplate the world without having to attend to hundreds of elementary students and their boundless energy as I did at my old job. But on those days when I spend hours listening to my iPod while I count, sort and weigh rice samples, I yearn for company other than overplayed songs.  During my short stint pulling almond roots out of the old orchard I really appreciated the increased level of human interaction.  I got to know a few of the workers, contemplated the term of address wey and developed more of a sense of community on the farm.

As a student of anthropology, I am well aware that everything exists in a cultural context and the farm where I work is no exception.  The world of a large-scale--albeit organic--farming operation in the Sacramento Valley of California is very different from the places I've worked and lived before.  I grew up in Seattle's white upper middle class liberal culture; when I lived in the East Bay I experienced the area's activist community and worked for many years in a predominately Latino school in the working-class town of Hayward.  As I imagined before I ever crossed the county line, the racial and political realities in Sutter County are very different.  I am just beginning to uncover more about the community where I work and how its racial codes, gender norms and social values operate.  Even though I like my co-workers on the farm, there are good reasons why I cross back to Sacramento County every day after work: I feel much more comfortable living in a city and all it has to offer: bikeable neighborhoods, amenities like food co-ops and yoga studios and a greater diversity of people. Because of the emptiness of rice county, it is wonderful living somewhere where my chances of encountering another human being are infinitely higher. 

I'd like to return to the theme of gratitude which I began this blog post.  I feel very fortunate have embarked on this journey into the world of agriculture which began nearly two years ago when I was accepted into the UCSC Farm and Garden Apprenticeship.  I am thankful for the opportunity to work on a farm in the Sacramento Valley and gain some insights into its' agricultural and social realities.  Regardless of how my position at Pleasant Grove Farms evolves I've come to appreciate much about this region.  Finally, I want to thank those that are reading this blog. It is a sort of therapy for me to collect thoughts, experiences and emotions, to attempt to make sense and find a way to express them.  I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Comments

Katy said…
I think we could all write a song together called "the red state blues."

I wanted to say though, that red/blue politics don't really cut to the heart of the matter, when you live here. I talk to my neighbors, and they are just as humane and giving as you might wish for in a neighbor. The way they vote (often Republican) can represent some single-issue item (gun control, abortion) rather than an over-arching need to deprive their fellow citizens. We don't talk about electoral politics--instead I look for the common ground, about how we think things should be in our community. You find a lot of people open to diversity of race and even sexual orientation, judging from their friends, and certainly for women's rights. Lot of strong women running things in the country out here. I think the fact that our congressional district is squarely republican, doesn't mean that its people all toe the party line as per bigotry.

I actually admire the balance you've struck between city and country life. You are learning a lot about farming--real farming--and staying engaged with the city which holds in it more kindred spirits for you. I think that's great. I could see that being sustainable for a long time.

And I hear you on the solitude v. people issue. Maybe they can let you work with the crew 1-2 days per week. Certainly I would love it if a crew of people appeared at my farm once a week ;) One day I might organize some kind of work-share with neighbors and make that dream happen.

Also, keep rocking the boat. Migrant workers need labor rights, period, and taking a common holiday is a human right, regardless of whether it's a big day where you're from. I just signed a petition for Target to stop opening at midnight on Thanksgiving, because it makes their workers have to come in at 11 on Thanksgiving, when they should be digesting their turkey.

Popular posts from this blog

Barb Wire Clothes Line

Hi People! This Friday evening finds me again in the city of Esteli, where I arrived to check email and do some other things I can't do in the village of Lagartillo. Let's see, it goes without saying that a lot has happened since last week. I returned to Lagatillo in the school bus and arrived sometime on Saturday. I was worn out since I over-did it my first week and needed a little more down time in Esteli. I was also confused about the promotion (graduation) that happened on Sunday. Turned out it wasn't Jahaira's (my host-mother, as they say) graduation, but the preschool graduation. She is the pre-school teacher, so it's a big deal, and one of her sisters has a son in preschool, so they came to stay with us, along with Jahaira's mother and brother. The house was a little crowded and full of activity, all kinds of cooking going on, especially on Sunday. The promotion was a bit long, but OK, it's good to have events like that because they motivate

Return from a Rugged Land

Ok so it's been a while since I've done any blogging. But I am on the move and have much to write about, so here I go again. About a month ago, back in February, I left my job teaching Nutrition and Garden at Park Elementary in Hayward, CA. It was a sad farewell, and I will miss many students, parents and staff there, but I was ready to move on and experience new challenges, adventures and opportunities to grow, learn and have fun. I packed up my stuff in boxes, loaded my car with supplies and headed east for the high deserts of the Navajo Nation, specifically the contested partition lands of Black Mesa. The history of the Hopi-Navajo land dispute and it's relationship to the coal interests is a complicated one. At the center of it lies Black Mesa, a rolling plateau of sagebrush and pinon and juniper forests, the traditional home of many Dine (Navajo) sheepherding families. Under their lands lie some of the largest coal deposits in the U.S. For decades, the coal in

Oakland Stroll

February 4, 2008: Nervous about Super Tuesday, but hopeful that Obama can pull it off and eventually get the nomination. Slightly pleased that the somewhat more respectable McCain is leading over the deplorable Romney (even though I don't have much love for Republicans). Current Book: "China Road", Rob Gifford Current Song: "SF Anthem" Traxamillion and San Quinn First in an installment. I hope to explore East Bay neighborhoods and take pictures. I'm not attempting to interview people to get the pulse of an area, but rather capture the images that strike me and hopefully create a visual sense of the community. I plan to do this a couple times of month. Let me know what you think. This being one of the few sunny, rainless days we've had of late, I decided to spend part of my day off walking through some Oakland neighborhoods instead of doing housework or studying. I live near High Street and 580, in Maxwell Park. I headed west, along Brookdal